North West executives sign-up to Join Dementia Research
Executives from leading mental health organisations across the North West have backed the national campaign which is helping researchers beat dementia.
Medical Directors from Trusts with a stake in the region’s mental wellbeing signed-up to Join Dementia Research (JDR).
JDR is a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) service for people in the UK to register their interest in participating in dementia research. It is supported by the Alzheimer’s Society, Alzheimer’s Research UK and Alzheimer Scotland.
People living with dementia or memory problems, their carers, or anyone with an interest can sign up and learn all about the most innovative and up to date dementia research happening in their area.
Registering is the first step in becoming involved in supporting studies which are continually allowing researchers to learn more about dementia.
Dr Chris Daly, Medical Director of Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust (GMMH), registered with JDR after he worked with the NIHR’s Greater Manchester Clinical Research Network (CRN) on a Healthy Brains awareness day in autumn 2017.
He then arranged for his North West peers to do the same. The photograph shows:
- Dr Louise Sell, Medical Director for North West Boroughs Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Chris Daly, Medical Director of Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Henry Ticehurst, Medical Director for Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Professor Max Marshall, Medical Director for Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Arun Chidambaram, Deputy Medical Director for Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Nick Land, Medical Director for Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys Foundation NHS Trust
- Anthony Deery, Clinical Lead for Mental Health Programme, NHS England North
- Dr Faouzi Alam, Medical Director for Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Dr Faouzi Alam said: “It is brilliant to see collaborative effort from my executive colleagues in the North for "Join Dementia Research".
"Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust looks forward to actively getting involved with the absolutely critical research JDR is facilitating.
“As a Trust we see and treat thousands of dementia patients every year; by backing this initiative (JDR) I believe we will help make real difference patients'lives, and maybe, by working together, we will have helped stop dementia for good.”
Professor Iracema Leroi, Greater Manchester’s Dementias and Neurodegeneration specialty lead for the NIHR Clinical Research Network, said: “It is fantastic to see our executive colleagues from across our key North West partner organisations taking the lead in joining this vital scheme.
“We are extremely grateful for their top-level support which is a powerful tool for promoting Join Dementia Research among patients, service users and staff.
“Through this collaboration, we hope to connect even more people across our region with the all-important clinical studies that enable us to fight dementia.”
If you wish to hear more about the Join Dementia Research Service in Greater Manchester, please call the NIHR CRN GM team on 0161 701 5608 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.